1. Baltimore (@BUF) – There has not been a better defense in the last 2 weeks than the Baltimore Ravens. They have given up a mere 10 points total in their last 2 contests, and they have another favorable match up this week against a shallow Bills offense.
2. New England (@MIA) – This defense has given up more points than they would have liked in the last couple of games, but they were playing high powered offenses. This week they get the Dolphins who are getting better on offense, but they are not playing the Browns this week. Look for the Pats defense to get back on track in week 7 at Miami.
3. Pittsburgh (@DEN) – They have been arguably the best defense in the NFL so far this season. Pittsburgh matches up against a Denver offense full of potential, but they seem to be heading in the wrong direction, evident in the Chargers and Colts games. Denver could present this defense with some problems, but they are a must start this week and any week..
4. Washington (ARI) – This defense has been one of the league’s best in recent weeks. They match up against an Arizona offense facing a big problem at the QB position. The Redskins defense should continue to shine this week.
5. NY Giants (SF) – We did not think this defense would ever crack the top 10, much less the top 5, but they have really turned things around. They still have some issues that need to be addressed, but we like them in week 7 against a struggling 49er offense.
6. Philadelphia (CHI) – The Bears offense has improved dramatically over the last few weeks, but they will meet their match in the 7th ranked Eagles defense. The Philly D should create match up problems and create turnovers.
7. Tennessee (@HOU) – This defense continues to far exceed expectations. Their only weakness is against the pass, and Houston is likely to put the ball in the air a lot, but the Titans solid pass rush should cause enough problems to make them a top defensive pick again this week.
8. Dallas (MIN) – The Cowboys defense has given up far too many points this season, but most have come against pass heavy offenses. This week they face a run heavy Vikings offense, which they match up great against. Adrian Peterson will likely give them some problems, but not enough to keep the Dallas D out of your starting line up.
9. Houston (TEN) – This is typically a mediocre defense that we rarely suggest using, but they are not a bad start this week against a Titans offense that is struggling to score points, and likely without Vince Young.
10. Tampa Bay (@DET) – This aging group has put together a solid year, especially against the pass where they rank 8th in the NFL. They will be paired against the pass happy Lions this week, and the match up bodes well. The Bucs D will likely give up some plays, but they are not a bad start overall.
11. Kansas City (@OAK) – The Kansas City defense hopes to over achieve once again this week against an improving but shaky Raiders offense. The Oakland offense should have some luck on the ground, but will likely struggle against the Chiefs tough pass defense. They are a decent start at Oakland for week 7.
12. Seattle (STL) – This defense has really had a rough way to go in recent weeks, and they are a mediocre squad at best. Luckily they face a Rams offense on an even steeper decline. You could do much worse than the Seahawks as your starting defense in week 7.
13. Indianapolis (@JAC) – A lot of people do not realize that the Colts boast the league’s fifth rated overall defense, and rank an impressive 3rd against the pass. They face a Jacksonville offense in week 7 that is on a pretty good roll of their own. The Indi defense is not the safest start this week, but they should hold their own.
14. Chicago (@PHI) – The Chicago defense has struggled in the last few weeks to say the least. They face a pretty good, but unpredictable Eagles offense in week 7. The Bears are not the stud defense they have been in the past, but they will likely give you a couple of sacks and turnovers. As far as giving up points, they are a little risky.
15. New Orleans (ATL) – The New Orleans defense is never a squad that we recommend using, but they are facing an Atlanta offense that is really struggling right now. They also looked fairly decent last week. Again, we never recommend this defense, but if you are in a tight spot, they may not be a bad option this week.
16. Oakland (KC) – On paper, they rank among the league’s worst in total defense, but this defense is better than advertised. We anticipate that they will probably give up a lot of yards on the ground, but they should hold the Chiefs passing attack somewhat in check. We think you can do better than the Raiders defense in week 7, but they are better than people think.
17. Arizona (@WAS) – The Arizona defense is a middle of the road squad at best. They face an up and down Redskins offense this week. Due to the issues the Cardinals have at QB, they may have field position issues, which will put the defense in bad predicaments. This is not the best week to start the Cards defense.
18. Jacksonville (IND) – This Jaguars defense has played very well in recent weeks, but this week, they get the Colts. That alone is reason enough to keep them on your bench.
19. Buffalo (BAL) – The Bills defense looked halfway decent in their last game against the Cowboys, especially in the turnover department. They face a solid match up against a Ravens offense that has struggled to find the end zone. The thing is, the Cowboys game was kind of a fluke, and this is still the lowest ranked defense in the NFL. The Buffalo defense is never a safe start.
20. Minnesota (@DAL) – They are one of the best defenses in the league when it comes to stopping the run, but they rank dead last against the pass. What do the Cowboys do best? Pass, not a good match up for the Viking D in week 7.
21. Denver (PIT) – There is not a defense in the NFL more unbalanced than the Broncos. They boast the leagues best pass defense, but they also have the leagues worst run defense. The Broncos will face off against Pittsburgh. The Steelers are not exactly an offensive juggernaut, but they have a strong running game, which will give the Denver D fits. Bad match up.
22. San Francisco (@NYG) – This is not one of the worst defenses out there, but they are hardly a safe play. The 49er offense is really sputtering, putting their D in constant danger with bad field position, and they are playing a Giants team capable of putting up big points. Look elsewhere for your defense.
23. Atlanta (@NO) – The Falcons D is not very good, and they will be matched against an improving and dangerous Saints offense. Not a wise play for week 7.
24. Detroit (TB) – The Lions defense has seen its ups and downs this season, but by far, more downs. They play Tampa at home, who does not exactly have the NFL’s most intimidating offense, but they are still good enough to make this defense look bad.
25. St. Louis (@SEA) – This defense is not deep or talented enough to stop the Seahawks offense for 4 quarters. Look elsewhere.
26. Cincinnati (NYJ) – The Jets are not exactly setting the league a blaze with their offense, but this defense stinks on every level. The Bengals D can not stop anyone right now.
27. NY Jets (@CIN) – The Jets defense struggles in every facet of the game. They face the high powered passing attack of the Bengals. Not a good starting defense for week 7.
28. Miami (NE) – They are playing the Patriots and they suck. Enough said.